Friday 12 July 2013

THE DEED IS DONE

When I read that sometimes centring doesn’t stick and that you can fiddle with the settings to add something to Normal I freaked. It is terrifying to think that settings could be mashed beyond recognition and your life would become a nightmare. So I saved the document under yet another name and set out on this adventure…three minutes later I was punching air and whispering, Get in. Done it. I am very happy with this self, that she can read instructions and go away to let them stew in her brain for a few days so that on return and with a little courage she can do the deed.

I only centred the title page and the Table of Contents; I didn’t want to fiddle with page widths to make the copyright page centred – that would be a bridge just too far. So, with that success behind me I went straight on to the task of hyperlinking the Table of Contents – eek! But it was easy. I’d read the instructions last week and last night again and all that was left to do was go for it. Yes, I made a couple of mistakes and had to go back and do them again; that was because there were quite a few poem titles beginning with the same word, and the instructions said you only needed the first word to be listed…but they also explain a scenario where you captalise the first letter of every word but leave out the spaces – TheRightThingToDo as an example.


All the formatting is done. So today, I will be sweeping over each poem in case any of them need a little tweak with the last hug. I think I’m just going to put the book up at Amazon first – I can do Smashwords later if I want…small steps. I’ll be back, perhaps waving a big link.

No comments:

Post a Comment